Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Am I ready??

On Monday, we took Spencer swimming at the beach in our neighborhood. This is absolutely her favorite thing in the entire world. We can barely walk by the beach without her freaking out and trying to swim. We didn't even think she would like swimming, since she's a hound dog, but maybe she has some lab in her after all. 

Anyways, everything was going great on Monday, and she was fetching sticks and running all around the sand. And then she found a dead fish. WHY is it that all dogs LOVE to roll in dead animals??? Like, what is so appealing about it to them? And once she knew it was there, she wouldn't leave it alone. Lovely. So we dragged her home and proceeded to give her 3 baths to try and get the stink off of her. Her leash and collar also stunk so badly they were making me gag. You all know how ocd I am about cleanliness and smells go hand and hand with that. So while Jake was giving Spencer her 3rd bath, I threw the leash and collar in the washing machine. 

Wait, what??? Yes, you read that correctly. I put a leash in the washer. Umm yeah. A 5 foot metal and vinyl leash. Without a second thought. It started making some interesting noises. I just figured it was clanging around in here. Jake came in the house and it only took about 30 seconds for him to question it. Here is our actual conversation:

J: What the hell is that?
Me: Oh, just some laundry
J: What are you washing? A metal skirt?
Me: No, I put spencer's leash and collar in the wash. 
J: Please tell me you are JOKING. 
Me: No, why, is that a problem?

We walk over to the washing machine, which is now shaking and smells like burning rubber. J literally has to rip the shredded leash out from around the middle part (no idea what it's called). And now we have a broken washer with a burned up clutch (who knew a washer even had a clutch??) 

J: Umm, we're not going to tell Lisa (our landlord) you put a leash in there, we'll just tell her it broke. 
Me: Ok, but won't it be sort of suspicious? 
J: Well, I doubt she would think we would try to wash a leash. 
Me: Oh, right. 
J: Kim, you do know we're buying a house in 4 days right?
Me: Yes
J: And at our new house, we're responsible for fixing things and paying for repairs. And washing machines aren't exactly free. Are you ready for this?
Me: Umm yeah...I promise I won't put any more leashes in the washing machine. 
J: Thank you. 
Me: Look at the bright side, we can start using our washer at the new house on Friday after we settle. 
J: Great...let's stick to clothes.

So, am I ready for home ownership??? Not really sure...ha!

7 comments:

Ashley Paige said...

Hahaha.. your post made me laugh out loud- putting a leash in the washing machine, definitely something I've done before!! And I looked at Hubs as if he had five heads when he suggested the next time I do so, to put it in one of those mesh underwear baggies. I never really understood why.. but now? Hmm.. How come boys know these things and we don't?

Pink, Green, and Southern said...

Um...I was about 5 minutes away from putting Cricket's leash in the washing machine, but I got busy and forgot. I would have never thought it could break it! We took the dogs down to the river and my boyfriend's dog decided to roll in the nasty standing water. Gross! He also LOVES horse poop.

Anonymous said...

haha.
When my husband (fiance at the time) moved into this house I decided to make brownies. I preheated the oven, totally forgetting that the week before I put some plastic containers in there to dry. Why I did this...I have no idea.
Mr. Crab came downstairs saying it smelled weird in the kitchen..I didn't smell anything. When I opened the oven, there was melted plastic everywhere dripping...it was awful!

Erin said...

Geez I didn't know that was bad either. I would have done the same thing. I guess a delicates bag would help. Your fiance seems to have had a pretty good reaction, mine would have flipped his top!

Polka Dots & Protein Bars said...

Hahahahaha this is hilarious and so something I would do!

P*P*P said...

HAHA! I love this story. Sounds exactly like something I would do....also, love love love your dress from the last post!!!!

Lisa said...

Just use a garment bag next time ;-) Tank and Delta are ALWAYS into smelly things, too. (Which is why we got them the waterproof Remington collars!)

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs