Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Work....grrrrr

Not sure if I've blogged about this before. My department at work consists of me and two other women. I handle all the weddings (selling, planning and day of coordination during the event) and they handle all other events (corporate groups, meetings, parties, etc.). They have both been at the hotel alot longer than me and they are both older than me. It's also no secret that they both don't like me...and the feeling is mutual. I've never had a job where I haven't gotten along with my co-workers, and it really sucks. They make no secret of it and completely degrade me and find things wrong with my work (even though they are not my bosses in any way shape or form). I, in turn, try to just avoid them and do my work independently. Luckily for me, my boss is really on my side and supports me when I get frustrated with them. Literally, I have had these women "tattle" on me for small issues...it's seriously ridiculous.

Anyways, to the point. Yesterday was my day off and I had made plans to meet with one of the mother's of a previous bride that I dealt with earlier this summer. I wasn't exactly excited to meet this woman, as she's really long winded and very prim and proper, but she had some wedding planning questions for me, so I decided to be professional and meet her for coffee at 11:30am. I knew the meeting would last for hours, and I was sort of dreading it. I had already formulated an excuse to have to leave by 12:30...I figuring an hour would be a reasonable time to give this woman. Well I get to Starbucks yesterday at 11:25, order my skim chai latte and sit in a comfy chair to wait. 11:40, 11:45, 11:50, 11:55...I finally decide, you know what, I'm not waiting anymore...this is my day off, the weather is amazing and I'm going to enjoy it. So I left. I didn't have the woman's cell phone to call her.

So I go about my day, running errands, getting lunch at Whole Foods, etc. Around 1:00pm, my cell phone rings. It's a number I don't recognize, so I don't answer it (I never answer it if I don't know who is calling me). 1:30, call from the same number. At this point, I put 2 and 2 together and realize it's the woman I was supposed to meet. Well you know what...this is my day off and I'm not dealing with it. She can wait until tomorrow for me to call her back. I mean, she's the one who was late, not me. Well she calls me FOUR MORE TIMES over the course of the afternoon. I told you, she's sort of crazy and very long winded. But then I think...how did she get my cell phone number? We didn't exchange them. My lovely co-workers must have given it to her. I AM PISSED!!! Seriously, I didn't even want to give THEM my cell phone number when I started working there and now they are giving it out to random people and past clients??? I think that is so unprofessional and rude. If anything, THEY should have called me to tell me that she was looking for me...not just give it to her.

Apparently, when she showed up (at 12:15) at Starbucks and saw I wasn't there, she went over to the hotel where I work to see if maybe I was in the office....umm lady, you KNEW it was my day off, why would I go to work?? Well then she starts asking where I am, and one of "them" (meaning, bitchy coworkers) came out to talk to her and gave her my number to call me. I am just really upset by this. I got in the office this morning and everyone was like "you had the whole hotel in an uproar looking for you...why did you leave that lady waiting??" UMM WHAT??? I waited for 30 minutes....she never came. Sorry if I do not want to waste my day off sitting in a Starbucks by myself waiting for an appointment that I don't even WANT.

I don't think I'm the only person who would feel like this...when I'm not working, I don't want to think about work, worry about work, talk to anyone I work with, etc. That's why you have days off...to get away from work. I had a few words with my co-workers this morning about giving out my number to random people. I'm also going to send a follow up email (with my boss CC'd on it) just stating that I do not want my personal information given out to anyone. I just think that's common sense. I really think I should just change my cell phone number and not give it to ANYONE!!

3 comments:

Wila (aka Ali) said...

I am so sorry for the headache that was that debacle! But I think you're totally in the right. You gave up time on your day off--she can make an appointment and come see you at work if she's going to be bitchy and late! At least you're getting paid to wait on her, then!

Keep your chin up! And just think of how grateful all the brides are for your wonderful services!

Anonymous said...

If I were you I would just call the lady and say -"I'm sorry we missed each other. I see you called my cell which I had switched off. Maybe you can pop into the hotel sometime and we can find time to talk." As sor the coworkers I would not make it a big deal - it is what they would want, right?? Hope you had a good day off even with the drama.

k e r r y said...

I like elle's suggestions and you are right - it was your day off you shouldn't have been meeting with anyone but friends for coffee!

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs