Sunday, June 22, 2008

There are no words

to describe my weekend. I'll start by saying we did NOT move into our new house. yep, that's right. and the reason for this is the most disgusting, horrible, embarrassing, nasty reason ever. It was infested with fleas. yes, that's correct. FLEAS. the entire house is hardwood floors except for the 2 bedrooms which have carpet. Well, we were under the impression that the landlords replaced the carpeting before we moved in. I recently learned it's a MD state law to replace carpet in rental properties in between each tenant. Apparently our landlords didn't get that memo.

Sailor Boy and I go over there Friday night to take some more boxes and start getting unpacked. We literally take over our entire kitchen and unpack it, since the plan was to be moved in and sleeping there by Saturday night. Around 11:30pm, we go into the master bedroom to talk about how we want to arrange our bedroom furniture. Well Sailor Boy is standing there and he starts staring down at his legs. I'm like "what's up with you" and he just looks up at me with this bizarre look in his eyes. All he says is "fleas". Now, I was wearing jeans and sneakers, so I didn't feel anything, but since he was wearing shorts, they were jumping on him like crazy. IT WAS COMPLETE INSANITY. I almost couldn't comprehend what was going on. So the bedroom is obviously infested with the suckers. THANK GOD we hadn't moved one thing over to the bedroom or really anything upholstered at all. Can you imagine if our bed had already been in there? Oh my god, it gives me the chills just thinking about it.

Luckily, I learned pretty quickly (as I literally had NO knowledge about fleas before this) that fleas can't live on hardwood floors, so they were contained to the bedrooms. The woman who rented the house before us had cats, so obviously that's where this all came from (another reason i hate cats). Our landlords had decided to just steamclean the carpets instead of replace them, and that actually probably got the fleas to be active again. They apparently like heat. Wonderful. Needless to say, the carpet has been ripped up in both bedrooms and the exterminator was there bright and early the next day. He put out flea bombs...lovely. It just sucks that our landlords weren't aware of any of this before we moved 70% of our lives over to the new house. I really don't think they would have let us move in or given us the keys if they had known (our female landlord was literally sobbing she felt so bad). So at least we have a resolution and all the fleas are gone. I still don't know how I'm going to feel about it for the first few days of living there, but I have to move on and not think about it (that's Sailor Boys advice to me). We were both so freaked out, grossed out and downright mad, but I think we've gotten over it at this point (at least he is)

Thank God we hadn't moved Spencer over there yet, and even the few times she has been over to the new house, she's never once gone in either bedroom. I would die if the house had given her fleas (even though we give her Frontline every month). So we're not going to move the big furniture and stuff over until this Saturday, another week in the apartment. The bad news is we have absolutely NOTHING over here in terms of kitchen stuff...which makes eating pretty interesting. I sliced a tomato tonight with a plastic knife. We'll just be eating alot of sandwiches and cold foods this week. They are sending the exterminator back later this week, which gives me a little more peace of mind.

So that's my interesting, gross, sad little story about my weekend and my new "dream house". I'm hoping at least someone has had to deal with fleas or something like that so you can give me some reassurance that I'm not going to live in fear of feeling creepy crawly for the whole time we're living there. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

tickledpink said...

Bless your heart! I'm glad you didn't move in your bedroom furniture. Good luck this week as you are waiting to finally move everything in.

Barefoot in the Park said...

ewww. i hate those buggers. i grew up in sandy soil (prior to monthly frontline treatments) and delt with those critters every summer with my dad. bombs away. flash fwd to last summer. bf's mom lives at the beach and fleas abound..pete came home with them (despite the frontline). i freeked out (my condo is all carpet pretty much)...called the vet 1st thing monday morning. they gave me a "magic" pill...after 2 of those suckers... instant death to the fleas (and no problem with the carpet).

there is light at the end of the tunnel! they will go away and you wont have any more problems! good luck!

Red and White Preppy said...

Good luck this week with the waiting and moving! Thank goodness for the small miracle of y'all not moving into the bedroom :)

Flamingos & Flip Flops said...

That Sucks! Glad you found them before bringing over your bedroom stuff! Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

wow, omg I would have died. But hey, at least the worst is over and now you'll be able to totally enjoy your new house. Imagine if this would have happened a week into you guys living there, that would have been awful. so have fun unpacking and making your new house all pretty!

Suburban prep said...

OMG. I hope that things go better for you this week.

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs