Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Decisions, Decisions

So I'm not quite sure what to do about the house situation. The carpets are ripped up, the exterminator is coming this week, but I'm still really worried. What is stopping these fleas from coming right back in once we move in? They thrive on blood, so I feel like as soon as their are human (and dog) bodies living there, they will be right back with a vengence. Since I'm OCD, I've obviously been researching the crap out of fleas and I'm really freaking myself out. They like to live in sandy and muddy soils, which is exactly what our new backyard is. I'm just picturing the house being sprayed, the fleas taking up residence in our backyard and then having a field day again once we are living there. Obviously Spencer will be spending alot of time in the yard and I really just can't stand thinking about her getting fleas. And knowing that we willingly let it happen.

Our landlords are being very nice and super apologetic about everything, and they actually offered us to walk away now and they would refund our security deposit and everything if we felt the house was un-livable for us. Sailor Boy told them that wasn't necessary, as we planned on moving in once it's all taken care of, but then I started seriously thinking about it yesterday. It looks like the timeframe for us moving in is actually going to be several more weeks, as they have to spray, wait 2-3 weeks with an empty house, and then spray again. So we wouldn't even be moving until mid to late July. I just don't know if I will ever be able to relax in that house. Of course, I started doing more research on other places we could rent in the area and I found a couple of good options. I know Sailor Boy will freak out if I tell him any of this, but part of me thinks it is just a bad idea to live there.

What I really want to do is get advice from my mom, but I've been putting off telling her all of this because she will freak out about the fleas. I know her advice would be "DO NOT MOVE IN THERE". But it is a great house, in a great neighborhood, with a nice big backyard and everything we need in a house. I am so torn. Any advice would be appreciated.

4 comments:

Barefoot in the Park said...

don't fret. its not the end of the world. the "bug zappers" will win the battle and you will love your new place!! i understand where you are coming from though...but it will be ok!

Anonymous said...

i agree. it will be fine. don't worry so much because it's normal to have pests once in a while and that's just part of having a house. You'll love your house. Oh and don't tell your mom. My mom would totally be saying the same thing and she would just ruin it for me. ;)

Anonymous said...

You know, the bug people know what they are doing. Sounds like the previous renter was a little careless and let her cats get the fleas. If you use the anti-flea stuff on your dog it will be fine. It is gross, but just a little hump to get over and then you will be happy in your new home. Hang in there!

Wila (aka Ali) said...

Oh my goodness, what an ordeal you've been through! But I think you should just hang tight and breathe through the next weeks...that's really being careful and a good way to be sure they're gone! I have ants in my kitchen now, which is gross. Wila says to make sure you give the pup the no-flea stuff. It keeps her safe!

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs